Thursday, September 29, 2011

Long weekend and second JHS


So in the past week since my last entry I did quite a lot. There was a Monday/Friday holiday last week, and there was another typhoon so school so school got cancelled and I took a nenkyu day. Only worked 2 days that week. The long weekend started with heading to Nabari on Thursday to spend the night at a fellow JETs place. A bunch of us met up and hung out. Had a relaxing dinner at a really cheap izakaya (Japanese pub). Then on Friday we went to hike (it wasn’t really a hike…) Akame Falls(赤目四十八滝.  After the hike we met up with JETs in Nabari and some JTEs and had a BBQ. Then we took the train in to Osaka for a girls night out.  I had to stay at a different hostel than everyone because their hostel was booked, so I went to my hostel on my own. I really have no sense of direction and got lost many times. I had to ask for directions. I eventually met up with everyone. We had dinner at Freshness Burger (my first time trying it. It seemed a little healthier, but I think I like Mos Burger better). After half of our group went back to the hostel to hang out with these other guys the met there and we went to karaoke for a few hours. I usually don’t like karaoke, but I surprisingly had a good time. After we met up with the rest of our group and randomly met up with friends of a friend. Then we went to a club and came home at the wee hours of the morning.
Saturday we took it easy and just walked around a bit and shopped. I got back to Matsusaka by around dinner time. 

One of the waterfalls at Akame Falls

Another waterfall

and another waterfall

BBQ

OSAKA!
 Sunday I went to Kyoto on a day trip. On Tuesday evenings I go to the Taki Community Center to study Japanese, so the people that went on this trip were mostly people who go to the Tuesday Japanese classes. It was kind of rushed but we went to Kiyomizu-dera and Shunko-in which is part of the Myoshinji Temple. A former Taki CIR married one of vice-abbot of Shunko-in, so that’s the reason we got a chance to visit and what not. Myoshinji is a Zen Buddhist temple of the Rinzai School, and is one of the main temples in Kyoto. We got a short lecture of zazen and we got to meditate for a 15mins. They had a really pretty rock garden and sliding door paintings by Kano artists (it was really cool to see stuff up close instead of copies in articles that I read in classes at DPU).  It was a good day trip, but there is so much to see in Kyoto that you have to go again and again to see different things.

Kiyomizu-dera

Kiyomizu-dera

Kiyomizu-dera (remodeling?)

Kiyomizu-dera

The wall looked cool

Some Maiko(Geisha) walking around

Myoshinji

I thought this looked cool

Ginger; reminded me of home

Garden at Shunko-in

Kano Wall paintings
 This was pretty trippy....so matter where you stand it looks like the stairs are facing you. The 1st picture I was on the left side of the room and the other was on the right side. It really does look like the stairs face you.
Kano Wall paintings



So, I started teaching at my 2nd J.H.S. It is completely different than my other one. I had heard it was a rough school, so I was preparing myself. This is far for a typical school and it will be an interesting challenge. When I go back to my other J.H.S. it will be like heaven. There are good students at this school, but the general attitudes and behavior of the students is not what you expect.

Some of my lessons are epic fails; the students don’t talk and are uninterested. But some classes are wonderful; the JTEs help translate and the students understand and fully participate. I’m still getting used to things and maybe after my self-introduction lessons are over things will be different.
 
I went to watch the brass band club for a little bit and talked with some of the members. I used some Japanese when they completely didn’t understand, I think it gave them confidence to talk with me. One of the JTEs was passing by and a student told him she was speaking a lot of English. That made me really happy that they felt confident and were using English able to communicate with me

Oh yeah, after the typhoon rolled by the weather cooled down a bit. It’s not as humid and the air is fresh and crisp. I’m wearing long sleeve shirts now to school. It’s a little nippy for me, so I’m going to have to get a coat soon. It’s starting to feel like Fall.

1 comment:

  1. Patrice! The pictures look beautiful and it seems like you had a great weekend! You need to buy a jacket? You didn't bring your pretty pink peacoat?!

    ReplyDelete