Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I'm a train Master! Kind of


Ok, so since the last time I wrote an entry I did another billion self-introduction lessons. Kamada (KJH) has a very different, how shall I put it, kuuki (air). Teachers are rushing off to deal with students. Let me say you wouldn’t normally think Japanese kids would behave this way. These kids talk back to the teachers, chatting while I’m talking….. yeah…… that kind of feeling. But the teachers that I’ve worked with so far are really nice.  

I visited the brass band club at KJH briefly and got to chat with some of the students. It was outside of class so I didn’t feel bad using some Japanese when they totally didn’t understand what I was saying.  One of the JTEs passed by and a student was like “Sensei, I spoke a lot of English today.” It made me feel good that I they felt they were able to communicate and use English with me. At first I probably spoke fairly fast and not clear, but I’m getting better at slowing down and speaking simple
English.

The previous weekend I went to Nagoya and did some shopping for autumn/winter clothing.
This past weekend was another 3 day weekend. Monday was Sports and Health Day. I love that Japan has a tone of holidays and that I finally get to be off on holidays. I haven’t observed holidays since I was in High School. DPU always had classes on holidays and when I was working at Borders I usually worked on holidays. Anyway, I went to Osaka/Kobe area to visit my YFU Program host sister from Okinawa.. Sayumi. And….my host mom came to visit too. What a coincidence. It's been six years since I've seen Keiko and three and a half years since I've seen Sayumi.

I left on Friday and stayed in Osaka/Kobe area till Monday afternoon. This was the farthest I’ve traveled by myself. I went to Osaka the other week but I was with a group of people. It was fine, I didn’t get on any wrong trains. Took the Kintetsu to Ise-nakagawa then got in a rapid express train to Tsuruhashi (in Osaka). Then I had to change to the JR Loop line to get to Osaka Station. Meet my host sister then we took the Hankyu Line to her place. 

It was a pretty chill and relaxing weekend. We got to catch up. We went to Universal Studios in Osaka on Saturday. They had a Zombie Horror Special so the park was open later. Tons of long lines everywhere.  There was one ride that reminded me of Space Mountain at Disney Land but this was even better. It’s a coaster in the dark but the drops weren’t as steep, but the car turns (like the car in the Toy Story/Buzz Lightyear rides). It was pretty wild. There was a Spiderman ride too, that was pretty cool. And like the Toba Aquarium, Universal Studios is filled with couples and screaming kids, plus the long lines, except this time they were more fashionable since this is Osaka.

So in Japan Hello Kitty is part of Universal Studios......


Hidden stuff throughout the park

Hello Kitty Float

Another hidden picture thing

Zombie

This was part of the super horror area, he jumped out at us and there was another guy with a chainsaw down to the left of this photo

It was kind of scary, but I'm a wuss
 
Sunday, we walked around China Town (南京町 Nankinmachi) in Kobe. I got to try nikuman. I think it’s  supposed to be a manju with meat, but it kind of reminds me of a manapua/charsiubao  and a shumai blended into one. Kind of.  Then we went to Kobe Airport to meet my host mom, Keiko. She brought Okinawa Soba with her so we had that for dinner. On Saturday we had Osaka okonimiyaki for lunch and then I headed back to Matsusaka.

West Gate of Nankinmachi

It was Universal Studios all over again.....lines everywhere



Nikuman

East Gate

Okinawa Soba





Osaka Station, looks kind of like an airport
I’m back at Tonomachi (TJS) right now, but the 2nd years are on their school trip (修学旅行 shuugakuryokou) right now so the school feels kind of empty this week.  I’m taking the Level 3 Japanese Language Proficiency Test (日本語能力試験三級; mid-advance intermediate; the new N3 is in the middle of the old N2 and N3) in December, so I’ve been studying more and more lately. Think I should be alright for the exam. It’s a good goal to get me to study, because I wouldn’t otherwise.

4 comments:

  1. omg that's so cool!! I love the Charlie Brown characters walking across the street! Looks like you're having a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we need to catch up sometime jalapeno!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does Universal Studios compare with the one in the CA USA?

    ReplyDelete