Wednesday, September 21, 2011

21 Self Introduction Classes so far....


I was meaning to post this entry on Monday, but my internet was spotty and I couldn't upload the photos.
So I’ve had a full week of teaching (18 classes to be exact). I’ve done my self-introduction a total of 21 times already. And to top it off, I’m going to my second Junior High School starting tomorrow where I’ll probably have to give it another 20-billion-times. But even having four classes back to back is better than sitting at a desk all day doing nothing. The kids are at a lower level than I thought, so I am dumbing things down a bit. But they have only studied English for  a total of 1-3 years so…if I compare it to when I studied Japanese I couldn’t really understand much either.
So each class usually has around 40kids but for the English classes they split the class up so it’s 15-18kids per class. They have 2 JTEs per grade so 6 JTEs total at Tonomachi. Its good this way, so they can kind of get more attention from the teacher. Each class usually has 1 trouble maker/very talkative/ wants attention student, and they always look the same. I taught only 1st and 3rd years (7th and 9th graders). With the 1st years I gave my intro then they did a self intro (they had already done some short 5ish sentence intro), and I had a worksheet to test if they remembered my intro. With the 3rd years, I did my intro then they had a worksheet activity using the sentence ‘The place I want to visit is …….’

Things are going okay, but I want to make my self-intro lesson more fun/interactive. Feels like I’m just talking at them. I still have time to work on it since I have a chance to do it all over again at Kamada JHS. But without fail I always get asked my age and if I have a boyfriend. I am always reminded that I am soooo young. But I tell them I have 5 boyfriends, one for each day of the week.
On Friday the Tonomachi JHS JTEs took me out to dinner for my ‘Welcome Party’. At first I thought it was going to be the whole staff, but it was just the JTEs. It was nice to chat with them and get to know them a little better. They chatted mostly in Japanese, but I was able to follow what they were talking about.  I learned a new word; kimotameshi. There isn’t really an exact word that it translates to in English, but its like testing your bravery. Examples are like at a haunted house, our going out at night go a graveyard. Something like that.

When I was going home it kind of made me sad because now I’m going to Kamada. But it’s not like this is the end of it. I’m kinda nervous and excited at the same time to go to a new school. I just got used to things at Tonomachi. 

So it was also a three day weekend. Saturday I went to Toba with friends and we went to the Mikimoto Pearl Island and the Aquarium.  The weather was kind of junky, but it cleared up a little. I haven’t really ever bought myself jewelry and I’m not really in to it, so I had a hard time picking something out. Ended up getting a cheap heart shaped ring with a pearl in the middle.  Just like I would rather someone else cook for me, I would rather someone else buy jewelry for me. Oh, must not forget to mention that the Aquarium is either filled with couples on dates holding hands and being all cute, or screaming kids and families. Both are gross.

Some boat by the Mikimoto Pearl Island


Pearl Catcher!


They did a demo but didn't see much of it because it was raining.


Reef Shark

Crayfish

NEMO!

Porpoise, but they were too fast

Japanese Spider Crab

At one of the shows

Giant Hamster/Rabbit/Guinea Pig?

Manate

Walrus which are called セイウチ(Seiuchi)

Penguins

It gives kisses

and it has a popping sound when it gives a kiss.

and the trainers can make them kiss each other

more and more tricks
Sunday, I was supposed to go out and watch my Elementary School’s Sports Festival, but I ended up staying home  doing stuff around the house.  Today I went out with friends to Odai and we went to nice spot along the river and swam. The water was kinda cold, but it felt really refreshing. It doesn’t look it, but the current was kind of strong. Swimming up current was rough, but going down was breeze.
The river we were swimming at. we also swam at another spot, but I didn't take a picture of that spot
There were sooo many rocks. My feet were sore.
Wow I can actually cook.
One of the teachers at one of my Elementary Schools gave me clams.


Hayashi Rice

I only have 3 days of school this week then another three day weekend. WHOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Tragedy, I almost died laughing reading this post...I loved your assessment of cooking and pearl buying and had to read aloud the whole paragraph to my mom esp the part about the couples and families...I told her you should do a travel article for people like me who want honest answers about places to visit...I'd buy ur adive...i miss you tons!! and I'm also glad u are safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 - omg haha 5 boyfriends - one for each day. this is why I love you.

    2 - pearl catcher! wowzer!!

    3 - that's a huge hamster!!

    4 - i miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete