Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Matsusaka Gyu (松阪牛)

Not to overkill with two entries in one day, but this needed to be an entry of its own.

Today was a day in history. I tried Matsusaka Gyu (beef). I went with a few of the other ALTs from the BOE and we went to a place called Gyugin , just a few mins walk away from the BOE. The street had kind of a traditional Japanese look; pine trees, wooden looking homes, but a bit refurbished.

The road to the gyu!




牛銀 (Gyugin) the restaurant we went to for lunch

This was 11,000yen (almost $142, $1=76yen) for a 200g (7oz or almost half a pound) steak. They also had a 300g (10.5oz) steak for 15,000yen ($194), but that would have been way too much. They did have a 6,000yen teishoku (lunch set) with a 110g piece, but I had to get the big steak for my first time trying it. I added on the rice, but it was totally needed. This was the best tasting steak I have ever eaten in my life, but once for now is almost good enough. It was so rich that it was probably unhealthy. When the waitress brought it out it was still sizzling on my plate. I could feel the oil on the meat splashing and sizzling. It had a lemon and a kind of garlic butter on top of the steak.

So it was really good, but it almost felt too rich for me, and you all know I love meat! The steak got more and more rich as I ate, and the last few bits were almost like I was eating a butter dipped piece of meat (well it was). But maybe in a month or two I’ll want to eat another one. I could myself coating my arteries with a layer of fat/grease from this meat. I don’t remember how big the steaks I ate at home in the US were, but this 200g steak was do-able and almost felt way smaller than the size that we fat fatty American’s eat, but that size of Matsusaka gyu would be way too much because of the richness.




5 comments:

  1. When I come to visit you in the winter, we are going to eat that steak... And then follow it up with KOREAN BBQ!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I just finished dinner and after looking at the pictures, I feel I want to eat steak!

    -Jon T-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. God. That looks AMAZING. Send some to me? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. $142?! Dude, I sure hope it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg - it looks amazing but so pricey!

    ReplyDelete